- Who We Are
- Ways To Give
- Get Involved
- Get Help
- Our Programs
- Agency Zone
HEALTHY HARVEST PROGRAM
In 2014 the Healthy Harvest program was launched to provide locally-grown fresh fruits and vegetables to our neighbors in need served by the Food Bank of the Southern Tier during harvest season here in the Northeast.
The success of the program encouraged the Food Bank to commit to providing as much fresh produce as possible throughout the entire year. While the emphasis remains on working with our local agricultural community as much as possible, we have extended our commitment to fresh fruit and vegetables beyond the local harvest season. The program is supported, in part, by a grant from The Walmart Foundation’s State Giving Program.
The program allows the Food Bank to purchase produce from local farmers, to distribute product while it is fresh and has the highest nutritional value, and to raise awareness among the local farm community of the need for food assistance. The program is expected to yield more than 165,000 pounds of local produce in its first year.
Local farmers participating in the Healthy Harvest program include:
• Addison Family Farms, Addison, NY
• Benton Berries, Penn Yan, NY
• Brennan Farm, Avoca, NY
• North Windsor Berries, Windsor, NY
• Reisinger's Apple Country Farm, Watkins Glen, NY
• Stoney Ridge Orchard, Erin, NY
• Investment in local farms supports local, sustainable agriculture economy
• Increased awareness of the need for food assistance leads to increased produce donations
• Greater support for the mission of the Food Bank -- Working together to build and sustain hunger free communities throughout the Southern Tier.
Click here to download a Healthy Harvest fact sheet
For more information contact:
Melissa Knowles, Food Sourcing Manager
at 607.796.6061 x4029 or email email@example.com
388 Upper Oakwood Ave.
Elmira, New York 14903
Toll Free: 800-794-4088
Hours: Mon.-Fri. 8-4
(Summer hours Mon.-Thurs. 8-4:30; Fri. 8-1)